Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Goals you set to achieve, and the ones that surprise you...

There always seems to be a benchmark for runners to cover at least 1000 miles within a calendar year.  Granted, many do more.  Every year I hope to run 1000 miles and have yet to make it.  This year, though,  I haven't beat myself up over it.

This year, I evolved in other ways.  I became a smarter runner, and learned a lot about what my body tells me.  I learned what limits I can push, what I can't, and what I need to do when I'm not running in order to be a better runner.  Good tools in the toolbox for 2012, when maybe I'll run 1000 miles...or more.

I did accomplish other things that were pretty important, though.   I graduated nursing school, landed a great job (two goals right there), and we are financially in a better place because of it - not that we were in a bad place, but things we needed - or even wanted - came a little bit easier now that we are finally a 2-income household again.  Being the checkbook holder in the family, I cut some unnecessary expenses (ex-naying the Cable, changing car insurance companies) - something I'm proud of.  Once in a while, I have to put my foot down with Dave when he sees a shiny new gun or pickup truck.

Thankfully after pouting for a half day or so, he sees things my way :-)

I'd like to think I'm a better wife now - Army (both my career and Dave's) and nursing school has been competing with that goal against my own intentions pretty much since we got married.

So, it's not all about running.  I always will want to be a better runner.  But as we start thinking about starting a family I am realizing that it needs to be incorporated into other things in life.  Well, actually, I've known that all along but it's only been in the past 6-8 months that I have been *okay* with that realization.  I have a lot of people to look up to for that...local runner Kim R. for one, continues to tackle ultras while working full time and raising three kids.  My godson's father, Pete F. who is a multi-tasker/hunter/gatherer/provider extraordinaire, in my opinion, will never cease to amaze me.

The potentials of being a mom (NO! I am NOT pregnant yet!  Don't start rumors!) are a bit daunting, but are challenges I looking forward to now.

Other things I have cherished over the past year were goals I never set out to accomplish in the first place. I have developed new friendships (bbmhfabgglz) with people who I really cherish today, cut ties with some parasites, and am generally in a happier place that I've ever been because of it.

So, in all, 2011 has been a great year - and I'm excited for 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment