Monday, May 2, 2011

Rot in hell...



I realized that as a combat veteran, I can't get away from what's in the news today, nor from people asking my whiny-azzed opinion.  So, I'll lay all my cards down here:

At first I felt weird for celebrating UBL's death.  Then, while brushing my teeth before school this morning, I came to the conclusion that UBL is not even a human being, so I just decided to not feel bad anymore.

I hate that this has become a political goat-screw.  I've seen all praises to the current President and plenty of shitting on for our previous President.  Those who know me well know how I feel about our current administration (I don't like it).  That said, I'll give props where props is due, and respect the current administration because it represents the process and democracy I spent 8 years of my life defending.  The current President made a ballsy move with ordering the assault on the compound where UBL was thought to be hiding.  That move was a good one - I'll give him that.

I will always believe that UBL is worth more alive than dead, but I'll take what we can get.

During my time with a Civil Affairs/Psychological Operations unit (two years with a FID/UW...Foreign Internal Defense/Unconventional Warfare CA unit), intel is key.  Yeah, I was a medic, but I never gave anything for free. My job was working with Iraqis:  "Here is your Tylenol...now tell me where the weapons caches are".  I can't expect people who have not had my experiences to appreciate or understand.  But the mudslinging I saw was really depressing, and made me angry.

That said, I believe that we have known where UBL has been for a long time...back to the previous administration.  There is a lot of value in keeping someone alive, finding out how he ticks and how his network ticks.  The fact that he "hadn't been found" until now is something I don't fully believe...I think we had an idea.  Back in 2006 when Abu Musab al-Zarqawi (leader of al Qaeda in Iraq - AQI) was killed, it was after he had been followed for a long time, learn his methods and hierarchy, and only after some key leaders were there as well.

One comment from a FB friend stated "Can't a Black Man (referring to the President) get some credit?"  Seriously?  This is now a race issue AND a political issue?  F*cking bullshit!  The President doesn't get my full credit, and it isn't because he's black.  Sadly, the minority (not a racial descripter) is loud and obnoxious, drowning the logical thinking of most (am I giving too much credit?)  So, instead of respectfully disagreeing, I have to sit here with my thumb up my fifth-point-of-contact and let people say insane things.  Getting into a battle of wits with unarmed opponents has never worked.

The death of UBL will not change our mission in the Middle East.  In fact, I predict that it might get worse before it gets better.  I hope I'm wrong.  But taking out UBL even though it wouldn't change anything in the immediate sense is textbook psychological operations:  Dispose of the leader (figuratively or actual), dealing an emotional - if not logistical - blow to the mission, spin all the dirty croonies into a tizzy and get them running.  Without a place to call home, eventually they will disorganize and fizzle out.  It's not quick, or was it ever meant to be.  It's eating soup with a knife:  It's messy and takes a long time...and it's called "counterinsurgency".

So what does eating that soup mean?  It means that our current President cannot be solely credited for UBLs capture.  The intel to get to this point took over a decade.  While even I can celebrate him signing off the order, anyone who thinks that he's the one who "got it done", "did this" or "finally gave us closure" is incorrect - plain and simple.  You may not like the previous administration either, but if you discount the work they have done (or think that they didn't do anything at all), but I hope that people can be mature Americans (or lovers of America) and recognize that we have an intricate system in which many people played a part...even a prior administration of which you didn't like.

No comments:

Post a Comment