I hadn't posted much in the blog because I had something up my sleeve. Well, no, not really. But I've been trying to do my own training and keep goals to myself with the exception of a few teammates and friends - and it's better that way. No expectations and no limitations.
A little background: Marriage is all about negotiation. When David bought a bulldozer and a truck last year, I decided that it was high-time to get a new bike. I've had my eyes on a tri bike for some months. On slower nights at work, one of our trauma residents would spend a few minutes with me while we looked at potential models. I had my hopes on a Cervelo P3 because, well, it looks totally bad-ass (plus it's a lot of bike for the money). But when I got fitted at Geneva Bicycle Center, it just didn't fit. Long story short, I purchased a Trek Speed Concept 7.0, and upgraded all the components to Shimano 105s (Dura Ace shifters) because the components that came with it were bare-bones (and I have those already on my road bike). It was hard to get the Trek, with all the trash-talking me and teammate Jim McLaughlin did for months about how I thought Treks were overpriced. Well, grovel I did. And he still doesn't let me forget it.
So, throughout the winter I trained at Cycledelic, first just a few days a week, and then through their Winter Training Program. Work commitments made it hard to make every session, but for what I missed in actual ride time I learned a lot about biking in general - power, cadence, increased efforts, coupling and decoupling, etc. All the instructors, particularly Kathy and Matt, were so helpful with answering my questions. This was heart-rate based training and while this method doesn't work well for me in running, I trusted it for indoor bike training and made a lot of gains. Plus I made some great friends through the program. Cycledelic is a great studio and I definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to become a better cyclist.
Of course, I ran when I could, and swam a few days a week. And with multi-sport training I haven't done as much running volume, but I've made improvements in my pace and perceived efforts with the addition of other disciplines. I'm tired a lot, but my body doesn't feel as beat up as it did when I had higher mileage and slower paces.
Last winter I toyed with the idea of running the Athens Marathon in Athens, Ohio. I love racing in Ohio because my family rarely gets to see me race. Plus, my stepfather and two uncles are graduates of Ohio University (not to be mistaken for THE Ohio State University!). My training was on par for it, but due to some external influences I decided it wasn't a race I wanted to do. But luckily, there was another race the same weekend at my own alma mater, Ashland University: The Ashland University (sprint) Triathlon. How perfect is that? A chance to do my first tri, at my college, with my mom there to see it. Bazinga!
As we all know, winter lasted way too long. Before the race, I only was able to get a couple short rides in on the new Trek (affectionately known as the Shrimp Boat, since it is an extra-small with 650cc wheels). With the bike ride in open countryside, there would be no protection from crosswinds. But after talking with some fellow teammates, and after a ride in Rochester with a decent wind, I felt comfortable enough to take it for the race.
I met my mom, who was driving up from Columbus, in Ashland at about 530. We settled into the B&B (which I HIGHLY recommend to anyone traveling to the area...listen up ultrarunners who run Burning River or Mohican). We went to Sorellas, a cute Italian restaurant (that was not there when I went to college back in 1992-1996), and went to bed a little later than we wanted since we were laughing like schoolgirls watching "Fashion Police" in our room.
While Kathy was more than willing to make me breakfast after my race, her food is something best appreciated in the morning when it's made. Considering I had a race at 8AM, the fact that the other guests were eating at 5:00 AM was actually perfect. Mom and I came down at 5:15, and one of the Amish gentlemen asked "so, which one of you is the triathlete?". Let me tell you, that totally made my mom's day!
Surprisingly, they all wanted to know about my race, and considering that it was only 38 degrees outside, they told me I was nuts. I never expected to laugh so much in the company of these guys, but Kathy was right - they were hilarious (and even told Amish jokes!). They wished me luck and scooted off to their auction with their English - but not before one of them asked where the microwave was so he could warm up his coffee. Yes, these guys have to use pins to secure their clothing, but they enjoy the creature comforts of modern living when they get the chance!
![]() |
| No, this wasn't the Motel 6. This was from the room of the other guests! |
Mom bundled up in two turtlenecks and a winter coat. And I internally bemoaned the fact that this was going to be the coldest bike ride in the history of bike rides. We walked the two blocks to registration, I racked my bike and set up my transition area (only 73 registrants), I got set up in transition, and went into the natatorium for the pre-race brief.
![]() |
| When six Amish guys call you crazy for racing in this weather, you can either cry or step up! |
SWIM:
![]() |
| Follow the pink cap and the Night-Life splatter... |
I estimated an 8-9 minute swim for 400 yards. Theoretically, people were supposed to line up according to their bib number, which also correlated with their estimated swim time per their application. No one was enforcing this, as someone who told me they estimated 15 minutes lined up right behind me. A few people passed me, I passed a few people. I tried not to sweat it...nothing significant was going to happen in 400 yards. I just focused on a relaxed, long stroke, on not getting kicked, and enjoying the warmest part of the race. Once out of the pool, I changed my top inside and ran out to transition. TIME: I have no idea. No splits were provided in the results, despite having mats. I'm guessing 9 minutes, slower than I had hoped but also about what I expected in a crowded and not-ideally-managed leg of the race.
BIKE:
Let me tell you, toe covers saved the freaking day on this ride. The wind was nasty, the wind chill was still below freezing - I just wanted to survive and not dump my bike. Surprisingly, I felt pretty stable on the bike with the wind (which was a huge concern for me on a new bike) and was in aero for pretty much the whole ride. Despite the cold, the route was enjoyable, with some good rollers and gentle turns. I didn't get passed but passed a few. I didn't get the speed I wanted, though, because of the temperature. I think 3 blocks into the ride my legs were already bright red, and I was having a really hard time sustaining any power. I decided within the mile to do what I could, but keep the cadence a little higher so as to keep the blood flowing. While the wind felt like it was coming from all over, on the "back" portion I banked almost three minutes with help from a tailwind and the overall descent of the course. In terms of the scenery of the route and the comfort of my new bike, I was bummed for the bike ride to end. But I was so incredibly cold I was ready to dismount and get my legs moving more. GUESTIMATE TIME (per Garmin): 45:58, including T2, which was about 90 seconds due to fear of falling over my numb legs.
RUN:
My first mile was around 8:10, but the second was a bit slower at about 8:50. I still felt okay, though, and even passed a few people. The course, though, was winding throughout the campus - which I liked. But there were many portions that were "two ways", with people coming towards you, which was very confusing, as the course markings did not designate "one way" and "two way" areas. And since I can get lost in Cobb's Hill Park in the daylight, this was pretty frightening for me. But every time I caught a race official on the course, they assured me I was going in the right direction.
The course was short - by nearly a quarter mile per my GPS. While I know GPS is not gospel when it comes to certified distance, my time was 24:14 for the run. I've never run a sub-25 5k in my life, so it's safe to say that I certainly didn't do it off a bike ride.
FINAL TIME: 1:23:47 - 4th place female out of 17. Winning female was 1:16:03, winning male was 58:08
This is a good race for beginners, but not as well organized as I thought it could be. But for a beginner, this is a race where you can learn, make some mistakes, and not have some jerk pull you off the course or berate you.
I'll likely race this again simply because this is the college that holds so many great memories (cough, cough...Lil's!) for me, and the proceeds support student mission trips (Ashland University - while not a "religious college", was founded by the Bretheren Church). If you're looking for a race full of experienced, hard core triathletes, this isn't the race for you (and in fact, you probably will only get frustrated with it). But I think it's great that triathlon is a club sport at the university, and that's something I'll always support!
I have a lot of people to thank for getting me to my first tri. Jim McLaughlin answered every stupid question I could think of. Jim Roche, who - over coffee after my swims at UofR - helped me with the pros/cons of the components I was considering for my bike. Ellen, for help when I was struggling with swim technique. Matt and Kathy at Cycledelic - I can't begin to convey my thanks for helping me gain confidence and speed on the bike - a discipline which just now is starting to not scare me.
And of course, my husband, who supports most all of my hair-brained ideas, and for getting me into cycling in the first place by suggesting I get a "real bike" back in 2008. Dave is a freaking beast on a bike, and I look forward to riding many more miles with him <3 br="" nbsp="">
3>









No comments:
Post a Comment