I majored in Economics at Ashland University, and I remember one of my professors, who was rumored to be a recovered alcoholic, taking on the challenge of graphing the opportunity cost of drinking beer over Diet Coke (his beverage of choice) while at BW-3/Buffalo Wild Wings (which was across the street from my dorm) Three bar tables pulled together, countless bar napkins scribbled with graphs and economic formulas...while I still laugh when I think back on that night, the concept of opportunity cost is one I don't forget, and is quite applicable to selecting races.
Opportunity cost is defined as the value of the next-highest valued alternative use of a said resource.
Clear as mud? Here's a running (shocker!) scenario...
If you spend money on an expensive race, you can't spend that same money on a less-expensive race. Thus, the opportunity cost of that expensive race is the pleasure and money you might have saved (in travel, hotel, etc.) if you had run the less expensive race. This is, of course, assuming that the less-expensive race is also an enjoyable one, but I use this example because in my experience, local and less expensive races have been just as good, if not better, than the pricier ones.
Some say that these big expensive races draw interest because of the elites running them. I don't know about you, I don't run for who is running towards the front of the pack (like I'll ever see them). While I admire the likes of Meb and Kara, their appearances never have, and never will, fuel my desire to enter a race (now, if I was single, and it involved a date with Josh Cox, we might be on to something!). And to be honest, we have some local elites that I enjoy watching much more. I run with them (actually, I run the same route...running "with" them is quite a stretch!), I see them in the community, and I've gotten to know them beyond their racing times. Quite frankly, I'd watch Mark Andrews any day over Kara Goucher.
Below, I picked the "early registration" fees of two races I've done (Flower City and Columbus Half Marathon), compared to the cost of some popular RnR races. I picked Flower City because it is a "theme" race in that it highlights historic areas of Rochester, and Columbus because it has a lot of entertainment value (like RnR) without being part of the franchise.
Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) $50.00
Rock n Roll Las Vegas (Las Vegas, NV) $130.00
Rock n Roll Philadelphia (Philadelphia, PA) $85.00
Rock n Roll Virginia Beach (Virginia Beach, VA) $85.00
Nationwide Insurance Columbus Half Marathon (Columbus, OH) $50.00
As a co-planner of a trail marathon over the past few years (and with the keen understanding that a smaller race doesn't really compare to a big race), I have empathy and appreciation to the hard work that goes into planning something of the magnitude that is RnR Las Vegas. And for $130 I would expect them to be doing it better than the next guy. However, some of the horrible account I've heard from Las Vegas include questionable water quality (whether or not the water itself caused many people to become violently ill I'm unsure. If so, I would guess the culprit was chemical not bacterial), dangerous crowding and significant lack of medical personnel. This is on top the "swag" shortages of running out of medals, shirts, and mylar blankets.
My experience at this year's Army Ten Miler was also an indication to me that money spent does not equate to quality of an event. However, having also run ATM two years ago, I'm not going to write it off yet. This year, the course start and finish was changed (which was Pentagon mandated), but this change was poorly managed by the race. Lots of crowding, difficulty navigating the finish line, and watching amputees being carried across concrete barriers to get out of the Pentagon complex were a few issues that definitely need addressing. I love the ATM and the environment, but a week later I ran a local, small 10 miler and just enjoyed the experience more (and even performed a lot better). Will I do the ATM again? Maybe, but only if the clusters from last year get fixed. I survived and did okay, but watching amputees who just finished a 10 mile race needing to be carried over barriers to get back to their hotels is downright disgusting, and poor traffic planning on behalf of the race management.
Living in a city that has been hit with the economy's iron fist, as well as running for a team sponsored by a LRS, I have come to greatly appreciate the hard work and effort YellowJacket Racing (the main local race management and timing company) puts into their events...they employ local people, pay taxes to support local infrastructure, and along with the two LRSs the owners operate, have inspired an incredible running community in Rochester. I have, and always will, support their efforts over a sterile corporate entity. Always.
Money, flare, and other b.s. never will attract me to a race, and to me that is what RnR is about. I don't need a lot of bands and flying Elvii to make a race enjoyable for me. And quite frankly, I have no desire to surround myself with runners who need that. Regardless of pace, if one can't enjoy running for the sake of running, than what are you doing it for?
I consider myself primarily a trail runner, so much of the discussion here today bears little effect on the races I run - hence trail running's appeal to me (as well as my love of a good hard hill!). However, I do love the occasional road race (10k to HM) Thankfully there are events locally that really fit the bill for my needs. And I can't even say that these races are a "bargain for what you get" because what one gets for their dollar would rival bigger races and bigger venues, I guarantee.
After hearing about the Las Vegas goatscrew, as well as the way race staff treated a friend of mine (a back-of-the-pack walker who was meeting all the cutoff times, but was encouraged by the sag vehicle to "get a ride" to the finish. She decided to drop out than taint the value of a medal by authorized "cheating", in her book) during the Philly RnR half, my decision to not run one is pretty darn solid.
Sadly, runners may not see beyond the dollar signs and think they'll get what they pay for. And only experience will demonstrate to them otherwise.
Sadly, runners may not see beyond the dollar signs and think they'll get what they pay for. And only experience will demonstrate to them otherwise.
Interesting! I guess I fit right in ... I have run 51 local races this year with 2 more to go. I went a bit extreme in signing up for races this year!
ReplyDelete