Boots' "plan" called for us to do SOMETHING the day after Sehgahunda: swimming, easy bike ride, or walking, for example. I walked...all over two Home Depot locations. I was like that little old man in the opening scene of Office Space...hobbling with my cart/walker, trying to find those gosh darned fake mulch rings to put around our three fruit trees
Monday was a blessing. Dave went to work and I did a whole lot of nothing. Laid on the couch, studied for my NCLEX (state nursing board examination), and hydrated.
The rest of the week I tried to stay active. My first run was a 3-miler on Tuesday. Hot as hell, but felt good to get 3 miles down, even if I did look like a marionnette puppet being jerked in a generally forward motion. Wednesday was a 17-mile bike ride with Gustavo which felt awesome, save for the high winds and debris in the road and on the Erie Canal Path.
Thursday was special. I took my NCLEX at noon, and thankfully it "shut off" at 75 questions (the exam is anywhere from 75 to 265 questions, depending on how well you do...the better you do, the fewer questions you take). I went to Urban Fit that afternoon for a "cross-fit" type workout. Friday was another 3 miler, which felt easier than Tuesday's
![]() |
| Mendon Mauler finish. Photo courtesy Gustavo Zajia |
So, here we are on Sunday. I woke up with my ankle feeling a little tender, and my new chihuahua dog having an upset stomach from it's worming medicine. I was planning to do an 8-miler at Durand Eastman park with my fellow teammates, but my body (not just the ankle) was telling me I really REALLY needed a rest. So what did I do all day? Napped, made ice cream, and walked the dogs. Not a bad "rest day" in my book.
But I'll admit I'm getting a little antsy to get out and run soon. Which is a good thing, since there is NOTHING healthy about home-made vanilla ice cream!

You had a great recovery week Krista! Good job making the smart decision to cut your 8 miler short when the ankle rolled. Your rest day today sounds heavenly to me!!
ReplyDeleteGlad your recovery is going well. Everybody told me to take it easy after the marathon, I didn't listen, so I am passing the advice on to you. If you feel you need to relax, then this is the time to do it.
ReplyDelete